Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Eve Service

Isaac and I ended up going to a candle light service at 11 pm last night at a nondenominational church with Mike and his mom.  It's the church Mike usually attends and he asked the pastor if it was OK for me to bring Isaac and the pastor said it was.

Isaac and I went for a walk in the morning and he took a dip in a lake and got all wet and muddy and smelly, so he had to get a bath.  I also brushed him well because he has been shedding like crazy lately and I brushed his teeth.  He was all prettied up.

He was snoozing when I announced it was time to leave for church because he tends to go to bed early, but he was happy to get up and go somewhere, anywhere, so off we went.  We got to the church a little early and I chose to sit near the back, at the end of a pew near the wall.  But there was room to get in and out of the pew by the wall.  I just didn't want to sit on the center aisle.

Isaac lay down by  my feet, partway under the pew in front of mine.  It didn't take long before he was sprawled out on his side, snoozing away.  When the service started and everyone stood up to sing, he lifted his head and started to get up, but I gave him the hand signal for "lie down" and he went back to sleep. 

At one point during the service, he moved closer to me and rested his head against my leg.  But he was quiet and unobtrusive and the people in the pews in front of and behind mine didn't even know he was there.

At the end of the service, a few people noticed him as we were exiting the pew and the leaving the church.  But I think most of the people in the church never even knew there was a dog there. 

I'm not positive the pastor even realized Isaac was there, even though he'd told Mike it was OK for me to bring my service dog.  Before the service started, the pastor was going around shaking hands with people and he reached around Mike to shake hands with me, but I'm not sure he noticed Isaac lying on the floor at my feet.  If he did, he didn't mention the dog at all.

The music was nice and candle light was lovely.  It's a really beautiful, ornate church, with stained glass and stuff.  It was gorgeous in the candle light.

There was no need to be in special seat or anything like that. 

Isaac was very, very tired when we got home.  He went directly to bed and actually let me sleep until 7:30 this morning, which is most unusual for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment