Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gift Ideas for Someone with Fibromyalgia

No, I'm not hinting for someone to buy me a present.  I wrote this article a while back and just thought it might be useful to share it here.  



Fibromyalgia is a condition characterized by widespread pain and overwhelming fatigue. People with fibromyalgia may also experience difficulty sleeping, restless leg syndrome, headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, depression, and stiffness in the joints, especially in the morning. There’s no cure for fibromyalgia but there are things that reduce pain and help manage other symptoms, including a variety of medications. If you know someone that suffers from fibromyalgia and need ideas for a holiday, birthday or other gift, here are some ideas that are certain to please.

Scented Epsom Salts

Adding Epsom salts to a hot bath can relieve the relentless pain of fibromyalgia. You can buy Epsom salts with various essential oils added, which makes them smell nice and gives them added healing properties. For instance, you can buy Epsom salts with eucalyptus or wintergreen, which will help achy muscles, or you can buy Epsom salts with lavender, which will help with relaxation and sleep. Scented Epsom salts are affordable and can be found at many drug stores.
Electric Blanket or Throw

A good friend gave me an electric blanket recently and it just may be the best gift I’ve ever received. She got a twin-sized blanket because, although I have a queen-sized bed, I spend more time on my couch than in my bed and the twin-sized blanket words better on the couch. Being warm helps a lot with my pain, which is typical of people with fibromyalgia. Relaxing on the couch while watching a movie is much more enjoyable with my electric blanket.

Gift Certificate for a Massage

Many people with fibromyalgia find massage to be helpful and the Mayo Clinic website suggests massage therapy as a component of a comprehensive treatment plan for the condition. Massage relaxes stiff muscles, improves range of motion of the joints, and boosts the body’s production of endorphins, natural pain-relieving chemicals in the brain. Some people don’t like being touched by strangers, though, so a gift certificate for massage isn’t the right gift for everyone. If you want to give someone a massage as a gift, choose a licensed massage therapist, preferably one with experience working with people with fibromyalgia.

Gift Certificate for a Housecleaning Service

People with fibromyalgia often suffer from overwhelming fatigue. I know I do, and on top of that, my pain makes some household chores extremely difficult or impossible. I would be embarrassed to tell you how long it’s been since I’ve cleaned my bathtub, but bending over that long is so painful that it’s just not worth doing it for me. Now, some people feel uncomfortable having a stranger come in and clean, so this wouldn’t be the right gift for everyone. It’s something many people with fibromyalgia would appreciate, though. I know I would!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog. I buy Epsom salts in 15 pound bags. I like to use it in my bath. I make a bath scrub from Epsom salt, coconut oil, and essential oils and it saves a lot of money when i make it myself. I have a service dog too, owner trained. His name is Doggie, he helps with PTSD and mobility problems. Little things like making my own bath scrubs and such makes the cash go a bit farther too as it can be expensive to have a service dog on a limited income. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! I make a lot of my own stuff like that, too.

      Delete