Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Parking Wars

I've been meaning to do a post for a while about how much it irks me when people park illegally in handicap parking spots.  And it happens all the time.  I've been watching for it the last month or two, and I see it almost daily.

Why do I care?  No, I don't have a handicap placard, so I do not qualify to park in those spots.  I might be able to get a placard, if I wanted one.  I think my rheumatologist would sign the form for me to get one.  But I don't want one.  I don't want one for several reasons.  First, I don't want accommodations like that unless I really, really need them.  I think they should be reserved for people that really need them and I want to be as independent as I can.  I also do not want to deal with intrusive people judging me and making comments about me when they see me park in a handicap spot, since I don't look disabled.

Anyway.  It's not about me personally, but when people break the law in order to make the lives of people with disabilities difficult (which is what they are doing when they park illegally in those spots), I care.  I have a disability, but even if I didn't, I'd still care about that.  When people break the law in order to make life difficult for people for whom life is often already difficult enough, we should all care.

Well, at the moment, I am really, really trouble by UPS.  Yeah, the package delivery people.  Their drivers frequently park in handicap spots.  I see them regularly.  So recently I've started calling the company to complain when I see it.

Here is a photo I took a few days ago of a UPS truck parked right in the middle of two handicap spots.

When I told the driver he was parked illegally, he said he hadn't noticed it was a handicap spot.  I'm thinking if his eyesight is really that bad, or he just pays so little attention to where he's putting his truck, he shouldn't be driving at all.

When I suggested that, now that he was aware that he was parked illegally in a handicap spot, he should move his truck, he was quite rude.  He did move it, but he was rude.

So I contacted UPS to complain.  Today I spoke to someone at the local customer service center from which this driver was dispatched.  She told me it is their company policy that drivers park in handicap spots even though it is illegal since they are there for "less than five minutes."  Yes, you read that right.  I had to ask her to repeat it because I was sure I must have heard it wrong.  Then I repeated it back to her and she confirmed I'd heard right.

It is the company policy of UPS that their drivers park illegally in handicap spots.

When I objected, she told me to all the 800 customer service number.  So I did.  The customer service agent that answered the phone confirmed that this was indeed UPS policy.  I asked to speak to a supervisor.  The supervisor also confirmed that this is UPS policy. 

Seriously.  How F-d up is that?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should report them to the ADA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not a violation of the ADA. It is, however, a violation of local traffic laws. It is something the police would issue a citation for. It's a criminal matter. Violations of the ADA are not a criminal matter, but a civil matter. The police cannot issue a citation (a ticket) for violations of the ADA. You'd have to sue in civil court. This is one of those instances when it's really important to understand what laws apply (or what laws are being violated) so that you know what your rights are and what remedies are available to you. Certainly it does violate the rights of people with disabilities, but it's a right granted by the state Dept. of Motor Vehicles, the right to park in a handicap spot, not a right granted by the ADA.

      Delete