Saturday, November 22, 2014

I Wish I Had a Helper Like That

This evening I did some laundry. My neighbors are all the time saying stuff like "I wish I had a helper to help me do my laundry" when they see Isaac getting my clothes out of the dryer.

One of the older ladies that always says that DOES have a helper, a home health aide. Only her helper doesn't just get the clothes out of the dryer, her helper also puts the clothes in the washer, then transfers them to the dryer, then folds them when they are done. So I don't know what she's talking about.

I occasionally wish I had a helper like that! But honestly, most of the time I am perfectly capable of doing my laundry with Isaac's assistance and I am grateful I am able to do it and I'd rather be able to do it myself (which the exception of getting the clothes out of the dryer) than to be unable to do it and therefore get to have a helper do it for me. Also, I'd rather wash my own underwear than have a stranger handling my panties.

But anyway. I think most people seem to think Isaac just does my laundry for me. Like I point to the full clothes basket and say "Isaac, do the laundry!" and he puts it in the wash, then in the dryer, then folds it before bringing it back to me. That is so not the way it works. He gets the clothes out of the dryer. Which is helpful since it is so hard for me to bend over repeatedly. But he takes them out one sock at a time. It takes so much longer than it takes other people to just get their own clothes out. I'd be grateful if I didn't need a helper to do that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment