Monday, October 20, 2014

When the Service Dog Performs Perfectly

As you've surely noticed if you've read much on this blog, Isaac is not perfect.  No service dog is.  They are dogs, not machines.

I think I post a lot about the little imperfections, though, because sometimes they frustrate or upset me and I want to talk (well, write) about it and sometimes because they are minor things that are kind of amusing, like when Isaac tried to eat a peanut on the floor at a restaurant right after I'd finished telling an employee how service dogs are supposed to be trained not to eat food off the floor in a restaurant.

But sometimes, he does his job perfectly.

A few days ago, we were in Starbucks.  It was on my birthday, actually.  I was on my way to tutor and stopped to get a latte and a cookie.  As I was getting out my money, I dropped a five dollar bill on the floor.  I said, "Isaac," and pointed at it.  And he picked it right up.  Handing it right to me.

Luckily I had another five in my wallet, which I gave to the clerk, because the one Isaac retrieved for me was a bit slobbery.  But he did his job instantly, perfectly.

He got a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment