Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Starting my Very Part Time Job Today

A few days ago I wrote about taking service dogs on job interviews.  I ended up not taking Isaac to my interview, but I got the job and I start today.  I will be tutoring a teenager that maybe has ADHD and/or some sort of learning disabilities.  I will be doing one hour tutoring sessions twice a week.

Working two hours a week is a very, very part time job.  Which is why I think I can do it.  I have to be there at 3 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which means I don't have to get up early for it and I have a day off to rest and/or get other stuff done in between.  I'll be working sitting down and will not be doing anything physically strenuous.  I should be able to do it.

It has been almost 11 years since I had any kind of a normal job.  I'm not sure tutoring two hours a week counts as a normal job, but it's more of a normal job than freelance writing.  I have to be there at a certain time, I have to interact with other people, I can't decide to just take a nap instead because I'm tired or don't feel well.  I can't do it from my living room couch wearing my pajamas.

I think I'm going to enjoy it.  I don't think it will be too difficult for me.  I know working with teenagers is challenging, but I used to be a social worker and I ran an anger management program for teenagers.  If I could get juvenile delinquents to show up for and participate in anger management groups, I think I can get one teenager to do some homework.  I know how to get reluctant teens to engage.

I'm looking forward to it.  I hope it goes well.  The money will definitely be nice, but even more than that, I'm just looking forward to doing something with some meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment