Tuesday, February 25, 2014

And, Just Like That, My Tutoring Job Has Ended

TK is going to be transferring to an alternative school, where he should be getting extra help.  Dad doesn't think he'll need to continue with tutoring at this point, though he might in the future, and dad says he will be calling me if they decide he needs a tutor again.

I feel disappointed.  I'm glad TK is going to be going to the alternative school because I don't think he was going to be able to catch up at his regular school, and also I don't think tutoring was going to be enough help for him, especially since his parents seemed unable or unwilling to get him to tutoring on time and all the other goofy stuff dad was doing.  So I'm glad for the kid but I'm disappointed for me.

Also, I can't help feeling a little like maybe I wasn't doing a good enough job.  I don't think that was the case.  Dad told me that if I need a reference for other tutoring jobs, to please feel free to give people his number.  I don't think it's about me.  But, blah, sometimes the depression says it is.  And I was feeling kind of depressed today, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. That sucks! You seemed to be connecting with TK and I know you were doing a great job. It seems like the parents didn't have it all together and weren't committed to doing what it took to get him the helps he needs. I know about depression since I have it too but you gotta tell that voice of doubt to shut up sometimes. It just isn't true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parents didn't have it together at all.

      Someone that used to be in my WLS support group used to say to tell that voice of doubt, "Thanks for sharing, now shut up." That's pretty good advice.

      Delete