Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Taking Down the Tree

Last night I started taking the ornaments off my Christmas tree and today I packed them all away.  I realized, though, that I didn't really want to take down the tree.

I have found that the lights on the tree provide just the right amount of light at night so I can sleep without having the overhead light on.  Due to my PTSD, I often have trouble turning off all the lights at night.  Even if I am feeling all right and am able to go to sleep with the lights off, if I have a nightmare and wake up in the dark, it's really scary for me.  Isaac can get up and turn on a light for me if that happens, which helps.  But most nights, I have to sleep with a light on.

The light makes it hard for me to fall asleep, though.  I end up with my arm over my eyes or my pillow halfway over my face, because the light is too bright and it bothers me.

The lights on the tree have been perfect, though.  I can turn off the overhead light and it's dim enough to sleep but there is enough light that my PTSD doesn't get triggered and I feel safe and there's no panic if I wake up in the middle of the night. 

I think I need to get some sort of a small lamp that will provide about the same amount of light as my tree.  I'll have to look for one.  In the meantime, I decided to leave my tree up for a couple more days.

2 comments:

  1. That makes a lot of sense! I wonder if something like this is what would look pretty strung up in your apartment, if you were thinking of doing something similar to tree lights instead of a lamp. They look neat - just an idea! http://www.target.com/p/xhilaration-pierced-globe-string-lights/-/A-14432999#prodSlot=medium_1_16&term=indoor+globe+lights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, something like that would work well. I was thinking of getting a strand of lights and stringing them up somewhere/somehow. I'm not sure where or how, though. Maybe around my living room window.

      Delete