Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Rearranging

I rearranged my living room today.  I didn't make any big changes, but sometimes it's the little things that count.

In the past, I typically sat on one end of the couch and Cayenne sat/lay/slept/lived on the other end.  Her end is covered with disposable puppy pee pad with a soft blanket on top of them.  Except when she pees on both her blankies and then she gets to sleep on a towel until I get around to doing laundry.  On the floor in front of Cayenne's end of the couch were more puppy pads covered with towels.

Beside my end of the couch is a two-drawer file cabinet that I use like an end table.  My pain meds were kept there, Isaac's treat jar was kept there, a drink was usually there.  My computer mouse was on the arm of the couch and in front of my end of the couch was the coffee table.  Why was the coffee table only in front of my end of the couch?  Well, it wasn't centered right because I didn't want to put it on the puppy pads in front of Cayenne's end of the couch.  I didn't want to have to move the coffee table every time I changed puppy pads (which is at least once a day, sometimes more, sometimes lots more) and I didn't really want her to pee on the legs of the coffee table, either.

But my right arm hurts.  It hurts a lot.  Picking up a full glass of tea with that arm has become pretty difficult.  And the arm of the couch, which seemed like the perfect place for my mouse just a couple of months ago, now seems a little too high.  Holding my arm at that angle hurts.

So I decided that Cayenne and I needed to switch ends of the couch for a little bit to see how that worked for me.  She immediately switched to her new end as soon as I put her blanket there.  I put my mouse on a pillow beside me, put my drink on the really wide windowsill just to the left of where I would sit, and moved Cayenne's puppy pads a little to the left (hopefully she'll continue peeing on them, I hate to do anything that might cause her to pee on the carpet) so I could move the coffee table a bit so I can still rest my feet on it.

I think this will work.  I think it will be good.  The only negative I can think of right now is that Cayenne will have to march over me every time she wants to get to her food and water, which are kept on the windowsill (they are there because it's easier for her to go from couch to windowsill and back than to go from couch to floor and back, and because they are in a place where I can easily see Isaac whenever he decides he wants to sneak a bite of cat food).  I don't think Cayenne will mind.  I might, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment