Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Day in the Life

Today Isaac and I walked over to the rental office to drop something off.  It's a very short walk, and I was bundled up like a mummy, and I was still freezing.  I think the high today was two degrees, but the windchill was much colder.  I thought Isaac needed to get out of the house for at least a few minutes, though.  He hasn't been able to go for a run since sometime last week.

Isaac loves our property manager so he likes going to the office.  He is doing so well with his prong collar, though.  Usually he gets excited and wants to jump up on the property manager, but today he just sat on his feet and leaned against his legs, something he does when he really loves someone and wants to be super close.

Another tenant stopped by and was telling us how much he likes labs because they are just the smartest dogs ever.  I was bundling myself back up in preparation for the walk back home and I realized I'd dropped my hat on the floor and so I told Isaac to get it for me.  He acted like he was absolutely thrilled at the prospect and pounced on it and picked it up, but instead of giving it to me, he tossed it up in the air.  It was funny and everyone laughed and then I told him to pick it up again and he did and that time he shook it furiously before he gave it to me.  He is just so full of energy.

We were almost back to our building when Isaac suddenly started limping.  He didn't want to put any weight at all on one of his front paws.  I was worried and hoped he wasn't injured.  I started to look at the foot but decided since we were almost home, we should wait until we got inside so I could get a good look at it without sitting on the ground in the snow and freezing. 

As soon as we got in the lobby, I sat on the floor and examined his foot.  I couldn't see anything wrong with it, but there were some bits of salt from the sidewalk stuck to his foot pad and between his toes, so I thought maybe that was hurting when he stepped on it and I cleaned all four feet off.

It was so sweet because Isaac put his head on my shoulder and leaned on me and it was just like he knew I was fixing his foot and he totally trusted me to do that.  And it must have been a bit of salt that was bothering him, because he's been fine since I cleaned his feet.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat ending to this! How cute that he trusted you to fix his foot. I'm glad it's nothing serious. You and him are pals. You take care of each other. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete