Friday, December 20, 2013

So Far from Normal

Sometimes I see people moving in a certain way or doing something I just know I couldn't do because of my back and I am struck by how far from normal I am.  And I know there was a time I could do those things, too, but that was long ago.

Yesterday I was watching Master Chef online and the cooks were preparing lunch for a bunch of surfers and at the end, the surfers were supposed to vote for which team they thought made the best fish tacos.  And, ick, but who ever thought fish should go on a taco?  But anyway, to vote, the surfers stood on one surfboard and then jumped onto either the red board or the blue board, to indicate which team's tacos they liked best.  And the thought occurred to me that I would have trouble just stepping up onto the first surfboard, let alone jumping onto another.  But they were all doing it easily.

Also, for some reason, the other day I was thinking about my old apartment when I lived in Cincinnati.  I had this really awesome apartment in a really old building.  But there were three stairs up to the front door and there was no railing.  I had a friend that has multiple sclerosis and she had a hard time going up those stairs and an even harder time going down them.  I didn't have any trouble, but it occurred to me that now I would.  Especially in the winter, if there was snow or ice on the steps.

It's hard to believe I ever took such things for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment