Friday, December 13, 2013

Saw My Doctor Yesterday

I was super anxious about going but the appointment went well, I think.  My doctor seemed to take my pain seriously, which I appreciated.  He asked me, on a scale of one to 10, where was my pain and I told him, honestly, if giving birth with no pain meds and no epidural was a 9.5 on that scale, my pain lately has been about a 12 or 13.  He seemed suitably impressed.

He thinks I might have rheumatoid arthritis or possibly fibromyalgia.  He seems to be leaning more toward the RA while I think it's more likely fibro.  At this point I don't really care which it is, or if it's something else, though.  I just want a diagnosis so I don't feel like it's all in my head or that other people will think it's all in my head and so that we can formulate a treatment plan.

He ordered some blood tests to check for antibodies that would suggest RA and some x-rays of my back.  He said he will probably want an MRI of my back but that he would order x-rays first because my insurance probably would not want to pay for an MRI unless I had x-rays first and those were inconclusive.  My last MRI was about 18 months ago and I told him I had it on a disk but he said my back has probably changed since then so he thought some current images were warranted.  I plan to get the blood work and the x-rays done Monday and then I will see him a few days after that.

In the meantime, he suggested increasing my Tramadol, which I take for pain, and my Flexeril, which is a muscle relaxer, and taking them on a regular schedule instead of just as needed.  He prescribed Tramadol four times a day and Flexeril three times a day.  It's probably too soon to tell how much that will help but I think I have had fewer muscle spasms today.

No comments:

Post a Comment