Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pain Scale

You know how medical professionals always ask you to rate your pain on a scale of one to ten? 

I hate that because for me, it's like the pain in what part of my body?  And when?  Because they usually ask me that while I am sitting in a chair or lying on the exam table and not moving.  Right this minute, I am sitting comfortably on my couch and only moving my fingers as I type.  So at this moment, I would say the pain in my back is a level two, the pain in my right elbow is a level four, and the pain in my left knee is a level three.  However, if I move my right arm to pick up the drink that is on the end table beside me and lift it to my mouth to drink, the pain in my right elbow would probably shoot up to a nine or ten.  If I stood up, the pain in my back would probably shoot up to a ten while I am moving, and the pain in my left knee would probably shoot up to an eight.  But once I was on my feet for a minute, the pain in my back would probably decrease to a six or seven.  So which pain level do they want when they ask that question?

Speaking of pain scales, check this one out.  Isn't that awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment