Thursday, December 19, 2013

Limitations and Frustrations

I am just feeling really frustrated today about all the things I cannot do or that are really difficult for me to do that should be easy. 

I have to do a load of laundry today.  Have to, because I have no more clean towels for Cayenne the Incontinent Cat to pee on.  She goes through a lot of towels.  At least two a day, sometimes more.  That means I do a lot of laundry. 

But doing laundry is difficult for me, even with Isaac to help.  Sometimes I am able to carry a basket of laundry to the laundry room.  Sometimes I am not.  If I can't carry it, I have to go downstairs in the elevator, get the cart that is kept in the laundry room, take that back upstairs, put my laundry in the cart, and take it back down to the laundry room.  Sometimes I am able to just bend over and pick up the basket of laundry from the floor and put it in the cart.  Sometimes I am not.  Then Isaac has to pick up each article of clothing, one by one, and give them to me to put in the cart. 

When it's time to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer, I have some difficulty reaching the items in the bottom of the washing machines.  That's not something Isaac can do for me.  If I accidentally drop an item on the floor, he picks it up for me, though. 

Then when the clothes are done drying, I have to wait about ten minutes for the dryer to cool down a little so Isaac can get the clothes out for me.  When the dryer stops, the inside of it is very hot.  I don't want Isaac to burn his feet on it, and neither does he.  So I have to wait for it to cool down.  Then I have to bend over to clean the lint out of the lint tray, because that's not something Isaac can do.  Then it's finally time for Isaac to unload the dryer for me.  He almost always pulls out one item at a time, so it can take a while for him to get everything.

All of this makes doing laundry take a lot longer than it would take a "normal" person.  And even with Isaac's help, there is some bending, reaching and lifting involved, which causes pain.  It's frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment