Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Woman Abusing Dog at Dog Park

Monday I took Isaac to the dog park.  The one nearest my home.  Often we are the only ones there, but that day, there was a woman, a man, and two kids there, with three other dogs.  Two were small dogs, but they had them in the "big dog" section.  The third dog was a big dog and the woman had him on a leash.  When Isaac and I went in, she said he was on a leash because "didn't know how he was with other dogs."  Well, if you don't know if your dog is friendly with other dogs, why would  you bring him to a dog park?  Duh.

Of course, her dog wanted to run around with the other dogs off leash.  So he was barking.  A lot.  And she didn't want him to bark.  So she was screaming, "Shut the fuck up!" at him.  And smacking him.  In the head.  Over and over and over again.

I was shocked.  I was horrified.  I've seen  people give their dogs a smack before.  But not over and over and over again and not in the head.  It was horrible.  And the man and the two kids were just sitting there like nothing was happening.

I thought about asking her to quit hitting her dog.  I thought about pointing out that cussing at and hitting a dog isn't the best way to get him to stop barking.  I figured she probably didn't want my advice, though.


I ended up getting Isaac and leaving after just a few minutes.  I couldn't stand to be there, watching her hit her dog.  Even if I didn't look, I couldn't stand hearing her scream at him over and over again.

On the way out of the dog park, I looked at the sign posted at the entrance with the park rules, hoping it had a phone number for the Humane Society or something with it.  I wanted to call someone to report the woman abusing her dog but I didn't know who to call.  There was a number for the county dog warden, so after Isaac and I were safely in the car, I called that number.  The guy I talked to seemed unsure about whether or not I was supposed to report animal abuse to him or not, but he took the information and said he would check with his boss about what to do about it.  I hope they went out to investigate.  I did not stick around to find out, though.  I wanted out of there.

I was really upset and anxious.  I took some anxiety meds and drove home and gave Isaac a big pork skin roll chew-thing.  I feel so bad for that dog.

5 comments:

  1. That really pisses me off! If I had been there I would not have hesitated to go up in that woman's face and tell her to stop smacking her dog. Then I would have whipped out my cell phone and called the police. Most police stations have an animal welfare department for neglected or abused animals. If they can't help they undoubtedly have someone they can refer you to. I hate it when people abuse animals and they need to know they will be held accountable. If the cops had showed up they could have taken down her name and address and investigated. I bet she has other animals and abuses them too. Imagine if she does that in public what she does in private. People like that should be shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/tips/cruelty_action.html#ID_agency to an article by the Humane Society of the United States about what to do when this happens, including links about how to report it. Most police departments also allow residents to fill out an online report about illegal activity (and animal abuse is illegal in all states so this qualifies). It's not too late to fill out a report about this woman! Once they have a physical description the cops can patrol the dog park and keep an eye out for her. Chances are she will go there again and repeat her disgusting behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information. I'll make sure I have the correct number in my phone if/when I go back to that park. I don't know that filling out a report would help now. I don't know her name or much info about her. I've never seen her there before, either. I think if I see her there again, I won't even go in because it was just so triggering to me. But at least I'll have the right number if I need to call to report anything else.

      Delete
  3. It's terrible that her actions were a trigger for you. I didn't even think of that! It frustrates me that her rageful actions might impair your going to the dog park because of the fear and stress she causes. I wish people like this got caught or didn't exist. Karma will catch up with her if the law doesn't. Whenever I hear of animal abuse I hug my cats tighter and resolve to be the best animal companion I can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it triggered a lot of anxiety and other PTSD stuff for me. I took Isaac to the dog park this morning. No one else was there. We didn't stay long because it was cold and windy, but Isaac didn't mind and he had fun.

      Delete