Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Party

Isaac and I went to the Halloween party my apartment complex had this afternoon.  I was kind of excited about it, which I guess just goes to show I need to get a life.  Yesterday, I make four dozen pumpkin spice oatmeal cookies to take to the party to share.  They were yummy.  I ate a few last night.  I wanted to take something to the party that was low enough in sugar that I could actually eat it.  I had suggested to the apartment manager that perhaps they should have some sugar free treats, because many of the people that live here are elderly and I bet some are diabetic, but I didn't think they were actually going to listen to me and I guess they didn't.  They had told me there would be Chex mix, which there was, and a cheese ball and crackers, which there was not, but I was glad I took something I could actually eat.

I was excited about Isaac's costume.  I think it turned out so cute.  I had to make a few alterations to it yesterday.  I had initially planned to attach the cow costume to his service dog vest with double-sided tape but that seemed to come off too easily when Isaac lay down or wiggled around.  So I sewed two little loops to the front corners of the cow costume, and the put the front straps of his service dog vest through those loops, so I didn't have to mess with the tape.  It worked really well.

Here's a picture of us together.  I have to add that I think I look terrible in this picture.  I think I look old and haggard.  But Isaac looks cute.

Isaac was really good at the party.  He lay down under the table, until the woman in the nun costume next to me tried to feed him a bite of a cookie.  Then he kept trying to wiggle his way closer to her, lifting his head to give her his sad, starving, puppy dog eyes.  But he was good.

When we first got there, there was this dish of candy corn on a low table.  Isaac wanted to sniff it but I told him to leave it and he did.  Then, a minute later, his big strong happily-wagging tail smacked the dish of candy and sent it flying.  I was so embarrassed.  It wasn't Isaac's fault, I should have noticed that the candy dish was in range of his tail and had him move.  Isaac was so good he didn't even try to sniff the candy that was all over the floor while I was crawling around, picking it up.  But it made me feel really self-conscious and anxious.

Other than that, the party was OK.  And everyone thought Isaac was adorable.

1 comment:

  1. You both look so cute! It sounds like you were excited and had a good time and brought some great treats. I don't think you should be embarrassed about Isaac knocking over the candy dish. It could happen to anyone and you're not perfect. You can't foresee everything he can knock over and things like that happen. There's no need to beat yourself up for it or feel anxious. I bet other people hardly minded and that they understood. I'm glad you went to the party and got into it with the costumes and cookies!

    ReplyDelete