Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How to Keep a Very Active Dog off His Feet for Two Weeks

So how do you keep a very active, energetic lab off his feet for two weeks?  Well, it ain't easy!  I am trying to find ways to entertain him that don't involve running or jumping or putting pressure on his foot.

We go outside and sit on the patio, where he can lie down in the grass and visit with various neighbors, all of whom are happy to pet him and provide belly rubs.  Of course, I've been providing plenty of belly rubs, as well.

I went to the grocery store this morning and bought some flavored rawhide chews and a beef bone, both of which he enjoys.  He can gnaw them while lying down.

At this moment he is busily gnawing on a Kong with a Beggin' Strip bacon flavored treat inside, trying to get it out.

I plan to take him for car rides, which he likes.  Tomorrow I think I am going to go get the oil changed in my car.  I'll go to one of those quickie lube places where you sit in the car while they change the oil.  Isaac can ride along.  I think one day soon we'll go through the automatic car wash, too.  My car could certainly use a wash!

Isaac has one puzzle toy but I might buy him another one.  Puzzle toys for dogs are toys that you can put treats in some way and dogs have to figure out how to get them out.  The one he has is really too easy for him; Isaac just likes it because he gets treats.  He could use a more challenging one.

I think we will also work on some training, things like instructing him to pick up specific objects so he has to learn their names to pick up the right object, and practicing picking up delicate or fragile objects gently (we'll practice that with things like a paper cup, so he can try to pick it up without crumpling it or biting a hole in it).

If all else fails, the vet said to give him 50 mg of Benadryl, which will make him very relaxed and drowsy.  I will do that if necessary but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

I am hoping Isaac's friend K will come over to visit, too.  She can brush him, provide more belly rubs, and hopefully entertain him for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment