Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Isaac and the Deer (That He Wants to Catch but Can't)

The people that lived in the house next to my apartment building moved out a few weeks ago and now that the house is empty, there are deer in the yard all the time. Three times in the past two days, Isaac has taken off after them, pulling the leash out of my hand. He generally comes right back as soon as the deer outrun him (which takes about two minutes, they are way faster than he is) but the third time, he chased them into some woods, where his leash (which was dragging behind him) then got tangled up on some branches and he got stuck. 

So he sat there and barked for help until I reached him.   Some big tough hunting dog, huh?  "Mommy, come help me!"  To reach him, I had to go through these dense woods with no path and lots of thorns. 

I think for the rest of the summer, we are going to walk in the opposite direction of where the deer now like to hang out. I imagine the deer will appreciate that, too.  I felt sorry for one of them this morning.  There is a mother and two fawns that like to hang out in that yard now, and Isaac ran at the mom and one fawn, who took off.  Then the second fawn appeared from somewhere and was like, "Where did my Mom?!"  The poor thing looked so confused.  Apparently they found each other, though, because half an hour later, they were all back in the yard (and then Isaac chased them again).

No comments:

Post a Comment