Saturday, May 18, 2013

Talked to the Quality Assurance Person at the Hospital Yesterday

Yesterday afternoon I called the hospital where I had my biopsy to talk to someone about the nurse in the radiology department that was so insistent that I could not have my support person with me during the procedure to insert the guide wire in my breast before the biopsy.  It wasn't so much that I wanted her to get in trouble, although I did want her to be informed that her behavior was not acceptable; what I really wanted was for her to be educated.  I wanted her to be required to learn something about PTSD and how to care for patients with the condition.

The person I spoke with was named Nancy and she was wonderful.  Unlike the unhelpful, uncaring director of the ER that I had a frustrating and unproductive discussion with after my last experience in a hospital, Nancy was open and receptive and understanding.  She apologized for the nurse's behavior and said she was very glad it ended up working out OK.  She said that they typically don't allow friends or family members in the room during procedures like that, but that of course they can and do make exceptions when needed.  She said that if I need to have additional procedures performed at that hospital in the future, I can call her in advance if I want and she will do everything she can to smooth the road for me.  I can also call her if I encounter any problems when undergoing treatment at that hospital.  I plan on doing that.

Nancy also suggested that in the future, I ask my doctor to write something like, "Patient needs support person present during procedure" on the order for any tests or procedures.  She said there is a place to write in any special instructions and that a simple note like that from my physician could make things go much more smoothly.  I plan on doing that, not only if I need further treatment from this surgeon or at this hospital, but any time I need any kind of medical tests or procedures done.

No comments:

Post a Comment