Thursday, May 30, 2013

Service Dog Fail

Today Isaac and I were at Hobby Lobby and I heard a little boy, maybe four or five years old, asking his  mother about Isaac.  "Why is there a doggie in the store?  What's a service dog?  But what does he do?  Can I have a service dog?  Why is he wearing that cape?"

I was feeling good (because I had not gone to Walmart yet; that place sucks) and decided to ask the little boy if I could answer any questions for him.  I like to educate kids when I am able to.

He asked me what Isaac does to help me and I said, "One thing he does is pick up things for me if I drop something because it is hard for me to bend over."

The little boy looked skeptical and asked, "Really?  Your dog knows how to do that?"

I said, "Sure!  Watch!" and dropped my keys on the floor and told Isaac to get them.

Isaac picked them up but instead of giving them to me, tried to give them to the little boy.  The little boy wasn't expecting Isaac to move toward him and he stepped backward and refused to take the keys from Isaac.  So Isaac dropped them on the floor.

I told Isaac again to get them.  He looked at me, yawned, and flopped down on the floor to rest.

The little boy suggested, "Maybe he will be able to get them if they are closer to his paws," and used his foot to push the keys over to Isaac.  Isaac gave him a big goofy doggie grin and thumped his tail happily, but refused to pick up the keys.

I ended up having to pick them up myself.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, funny Isaac! Made me laugh! Never fails, does it, just when we want to demonstrate something it all goes kaflooey.

    ReplyDelete