Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Biopsy is Tomorrow


I've had medical procedures and surgeries before.  I've never felt so much like I was going through it alone, though.  A friend is driving me to the hospital, staying at the hospital with me while I have the procedure, and driving me home.  But then she'll be going home and I'll be alone.

I've tried to make sure I'm ready, not just for the procedure, but to take care of myself afterward.  Over the last two days, I have:
  • Cleaned my house, washed all my dishes, and done my laundry.
  • Gone grocery shopping and stocked the house with my favorite protein bars, blueberry frozen yogurt, all the ingredients for my favorite cappuccino protein shakes, frozen cherries, and bagels.
  • Cooked and stocked my fridge and freezer with plenty of my favorite meals, all measured out in single-serving portions.
  • Positioned my favorite lotion, my favorite lip balm, a bottle of Tylenol, and other items I might need on the coffee table within easy reach of the couch, where I plan to lie down when I get home from the hospital.
  • Given Isaac's newest running buddy a set of keys in case I'm not home when it's time for him to take Isaac running tomorrow afternoon.
  • Packed my purse with a list of emergency phone  numbers for my friend (just in case) and copies of my durable power of attorney for health care and my living will to give to the admitting staff at the hospital (also just in case).
  • Updated the list of instructions and other information I have stored with my will.
I asked someone to come over on his lunch break to take Isaac out, but he acted annoyed at the request, so I said never mind.  Isaac will be home alone all day.  I plan to get up extra early so I can take him for a long walk before leaving for the hospital at 6:30 am.

Now I just have to figure out how to get through the night without panicking.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I'm glad you do have someone who can stay with you at the hospital and bring you home. It sounds like you have done everything you can to prepare physically for tomorrow. How are you doing emotionally and mentally? I know you have a difficult time with hospitals and medical personnel. Do you know what kind of biopsy you'll be having? If it's a wire-guided biopsy done by the radiologist, you should be able to manage okay by yourself; my mom had one done and didn't even tell us til after it was all over. It is hard sometimes to live alone, and especially to try to deal with things like this. Please let us know how things go, okay?
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, best of luck to you with your biopsy! You are very organized and I'm proud of you for that. I hope it goes well and you don't have any complications or stresses from this. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete