Monday, May 13, 2013

Doggie Version of Simon Says

Isaac and I have been playing this game this evening and I thought I'd share it with you.  Try it with your dog, if you have one, and let me know how it goes.

Isaac loves this game because it involves lots of treats for him.

To start, get some yummy doggie treats and tell your doggie to sit.  When he sits, toss a treat in front of him and see how fast he runs to get it.  When he comes back to you, tell him to sit again.

Now, tell him to stay.  Toss another treat in front of him.  He is supposed to stay until you tell him "OK."  Then he can run and get the treat.  If your dog doesn't know how to do this, practice it by itself first, because you play Simon Says. 

Alternate between tossing the treat and allowing your doggie to get it right away and telling him to stay first and making him wait before he goes for the treat.  He has to really pay attention in order to get it right.

When Isaac and I play this game, he is allowed to make one mistake.  The first time he forgets to wait until I say "OK," we will continue playing.  The second time he doesn't wait for my "OK," the game ends.

Tonight, though, I ended the game when I decided he'd scarfed down enough treats already.  He didn't make any mistakes.  One time he started to go after a treat, then realized I hadn't said "OK" and stopped.  He just stood there looking at it.  I told him to sit, told him to stay, then gave him the "OK."  I was really proud of him for catching himself and he got a couple extra treats as a reward that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment