Sunday, May 5, 2013

Anxiety and Running out of Spoons

If you're not familiar with spoon theory,  you can read about it here.

Yesterday I had a bunch of stuff to do.  I had promised Mike that when I moved out, I would pay someone to come pick up all the dog poop in the yard.  Did you know there are professional pooper scoopers?  Well, there are.  It cost me $10 to have all the poop picked up and it was definitely worth the cost.

Since I had to be there to pay the pooper scooper, I planned to do some other errands while I was in town.  I had a coupon for 10% off anything I bought at Lowe's, so I wanted to get curtain rods and some other things there.  I wanted to go to the thrift store and get some shorts and tee shirts for summer and a few other things.  I thought I might stop at Hobby Lobby and the dollar store, too.  I had also asked Mike if it would be OK if I did a load of laundry while I was there.  I hate the fact that I now have to pay to do laundry.  And speaking of paying to do laundry, I also had to go by the bank to trade in some nickles and dimes for quarters because the washers and dryers in my building only take quarters.

I went to the bank first, which Isaac likes because they give him a doggie treat there.  Then I went to the thrift store, and there was another service dog in the store, and Isaac barked at him.  He stopped when I corrected him, but I was still really embarrassed.  I bought the stuff that was already in my cart and got out of there, but I was annoyed because I wasn't really done shopping.

Then I went to Mike's and visited the cats and started my laundry.  I decided to leave Isaac there while I went to Lowe's.  I was unhappy with his behavior at the thrift store and I knew I would have to look around for a while at Lowe's and I just thought it would be easier to leave him at home.  Well, that was a bad decision.  I had a lot of trouble finding stuff at Lowe's and ended up getting so frustrated and anxious that I decided to just buy the curtain rod and forget about the rest of the stuff I wanted and get out of there.  Then I couldn't remember where I parked and had trouble finding my car.  By the time I found my car, I was exhausted and super anxious.  I took some medication and felt a little better, but not much.

I went on to the dollar store and then I just went back to Mike's.  I was too tired to go anywhere else and I felt frazzled.

Mike was supposed to help me with a couple things on my new laptop, which I just got right before I moved.  I'm still getting used to it and finding things I don't like or want to change, and I get all confused if I try to change the settings on it.  Well, I thought it would just take him a few minutes but he was messing with the laptop for a long time and finally I told him I had to go home and maybe we could work on the computer another time. I took another pill for anxiety before I left and I actually wanted to take a third, but I was afraid to take that much when I had to drive.

On the way home, I got mixed up and missed a turn and ended up driving way out of my way before I figured out what I'd done and turned around and got on the right road.  I was so relieved to be home.  At least my apartment feels like home to me and it feels good to be here.  It feels like a safe place.  I took another pill for anxiety and lay on the couch and finally started to relax.

I know it doesn't sound like I did that much stuff - I went to the bank, the thrift store, Lowe's, and the dollar store.  I did a load of laundry and sat on the couch while Mike messed with my computer.  It seems like I shouldn't be so exhausted and overwhelmed and anxiety-stricken just doing those things.  But I was completely out of spoons.

I need to plan better and not try to do so many things in one day.  It seemed to make sense to do all those errands at the same time since I had to drive 40 minutes to get there, but for me, it would be better to make the drive another time and do fewer errands on one afternoon.  I hate that, though.  That's something I hate about my disability.

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot to do in one day! Despite the anxiety you had, it sounds like you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had such a difficult day. I hate big stores like Lowe's, it's so hard to find things and that makes me anxious. And not being able to find my car makes me anxious too. So no wonder you were exhausted, not only by the physical demands of shopping and running errands, but by the anxiety which can be absolutely overwhelming. I too have learned to break things up and not overload myself trying to accomplish too much at one time. It just makes me feel inadequate and angry. Hope today is a better day. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete