Monday, March 4, 2013

Doggie Trail Mix

This may come as a surprise to you all, but Isaac gets a lot of treats.  He's a bit spoiled that way.  Plus, I'm still doing a lot of training with him and he gets food rewards.  Not constantly, but frequently, especially when learning a new task or as especially difficult task. 

Today I went to the pet store to stock up on treats.  What I usually do with Isaac's treats is make a kind of trail mix for him.  I combine a variety of treats, including something soft and chewy, something a bit tougher and chewier like beef jerky, and something crunchy.  I break or cut them all into small pieces and mix them together.  I know he likes some better than others, but he will eat any kind of treat.  This allows me to use more expensive treats sometimes but stretch them further by mixing them with cheaper treats, and it also allows me to give him some high calorie treats while also including some healthier, lower calorie options.  He never knows what he's going to get, so he stays interested.

Today I bought Fruitables chewy apple bacon flavor treats, Blue Ridge pork and sweet 'tater jerky, Blue Bits tempting turkey soft treats, and Old Mother Hubbard bac'n cheez biscuits.

Then I broke the jerky sticks and the bac'n cheez biscuits into small pieces.

Then they all get mixed together in a jar.

Doggie trail mix!  Isaac is pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment