Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Leave the Dog Alone!

It's not unusual for people to want to pet Isaac or otherwise distract him when we are out in public, but today takes the cake. 

We were at the thrift store, where I go regularly to buy him stuffed animal. We got in line and this lady came running over, saying "Hi baby, hi baby," to Isaac. He started pulling on the leash, trying to go greet her. 

I told him no, and she said it's all right. I said "No, it's not all right, he's working right now, he's not supposed to be socializing." Of course, I also meant that she was not supposed to be socializing with him, but apparently that was too subtle for her. 

She then started petting his head and telling him to behave. I moved so that I was between her and Isaac and told him to sit. She then moved so that she could continue to pet him and she started telling him to sit, in a really friendly, excited voice that to Isaac I'm sure sounded like "Let's play." And she would not stop. I finally put the stuffed animals down, told Isaac to come, and walked out of the store.

I was not having a great day before that, but now I am really annoyed.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an incredibly rude asshat this lady was. You handled it better than I would have. I think I may have punched her in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I felt like smacking here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you at all for that. She did not listen to you and that's not right.

      Delete
  3. I too am a service dog handler. I don't know if you feel the same way or not, but, it seems to me that some people take great pride in going WAY out of their way to intentionally distract our dogs and see how much havoc they can create. On the other hand though, it always amuses me how well the dogs can totally ignore the person which just serves to infuriate them to no end.

    ReplyDelete