Friday, February 1, 2013

How My Service Dog Has Changed My Life

The other day, I asked  Mike if he thought I was "doing better" since getting Isaac.  I know that's a pretty vague question, and I got a pretty vague answer. 

Me: Do you think I've been doing better since getting Isaac?

Mike: Yeah, sure.

Me: In what ways?

Mike: Oh, just generally.

Me: But like what?

Mike: You seem more upbeat.

Me: I seem more upbeat?

Mike: Yes.

Me: Can you say some more about that?

Mike: Just more upbeat in general.

Me: OK.  What else?

Mike: That's about it.

Me: Sigh.

I actually think many things in my life have improved thanks to Isaac.  I just wanted some confirmation, I guess.  Here are the good things I've noticed:
  • My back hurts much less than it used to.  In the last three weeks or so, I have take exactly three pain pills.  I used to take two a day, most days.
  • I am seldom afraid of walking into a dark room.  Sometimes that's because Isaac goes ahead and turns the light on for me, but I find myself frightened less often even if he doesn't turn on the light for me.  I just feel safer.
  • I'm not afraid to take a shower at night or when I am home alone.  Well, at least, not most of the time.  Isaac sits in the bathroom with me while I shower.
  • I am able to do more things independently, like I don't have to ask Mike to carry laundry to the bedroom for me, because Isaac does that for me.  But because my back feels so much better, I am able to do other things for myself that I sometimes had to ask Mike to do in the past.  For instance, last night I made a pizza for dinner and was able to bend over to take it out of the oven, something I used to have to ask Mike to do because it hurt too much to bend over.
  • Anxiety attacks usually don't last as long as they used to, I assume mainly because I get my medication right away since Isaac brings it to me.
  • I am much more active.  I walk a lot with Isaac, weather permitting.  I also go more places, because I like taking Isaac places because he likes to go places.
  • I get less anxious when I'm out somewhere because Isaac is with me.  I want to write about this in another post, but when things happen that in the past left me panicking and in tears, now I might feel pretty anxious, but I'm able to deal with them.  Isaac doesn't really do anything to make me less anxious most of the time; just having him there makes me feel better.  Now, that is not a trained task and isn't something that makes a dog a service dog, but it's an added benefit of having a service dog.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I'm so happy Isaac is making such a difference in your life. The ability to go into dark rooms, take a shower (can I borrow him for this?), and lessened anxiety both at home and in public are all the things I hoped he would help you with. Anxiety/panic disorder sucks big time, and anything that helps is a blessing. Not a religious person but have to say Isaac has been a "blessing" for you - can't think of another word for it. I hope you'll continue to improve.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I definitely think he has been a real blessing. I feel very blessed to have him. I think I was very fortunate to be able to find a program that could train a dog for me, and it just so happened they had a dog that would be ready to place soon so I ended up waiting just a few months instead of a couple years like it often takes to get a service dog. They also agreed to let me make payments instead of paying the full amount up front, or I would not have a dog yet. I have been very blessed, and Isaac has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete