Sunday, December 30, 2012

Servers that Ask about my Service Dog

About a week ago, I had dinner with a friend at Ruby Tuesday.  A server, not our server but a server that was busing another table, came over to ask me about Isaac.  He asked if I was training Isaac and I gave my standard answer, "No, he's fully trained."  Then he asked what Isaac does for me, which is a common response when I tell someone that no, I am not training him, he's already trained.

Now, employees of a business are allowed to ask what tasks a dog is trained to perform.  That is permitted under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  However, they are permitted to ask that if they are trying to ascertain that a dog is in fact a service dog and therefore allowed into an establishment.  They aren't supposed to ask just out of curiosity. 

Lately, I've been getting these questions almost every time I go somewhere with Isaac.  I understand that people are curious.  But I was eating my dinner and enjoying a conversation with a friend that I very rarely get to see.  I felt that it was inappropriate for him to ask me personal questions at that time.

So I wrote the manager a letter.  Yeah, I'm on a letter writing jag lately.  I wrote a letter and enclosed the brochure from Pet Partners (which is an excellent introduction to service dogs, by the way, so check it out).  Today the manager called me to thank me for my letter and the information about service dogs.  He said he learned some things himself and that he is using the information I sent to educate his staff.

Here is the letter I sent.



December 24, 2012
Ruby Tuesday
Attn: Manager
5940 Chantry Road
Columbus, OH 43232
Dear Manager:
This evening, I dined at your restaurant with a friend.  I have a disability and brought my service dog along to assist me.  After my friend and I were seated and had placed our orders, a server, not the server helping us but another server, approached and asked what my service dog was being trained for. 
You see, I don’t look disabled, so people sometimes assume I must be training a service dog for someone that is disabled.  But of course, many disabilities are not readily apparent.  I responded as I usually do when asked this question, saying, “Oh, I’m not training him, he’s fully trained.”
The server than asked me what my service dog was for.  I understand that people are curious about service dogs and it is amazing how many things dogs can be trained to do.  I realize the server didn’t mean to be impolite or intrusive.  It’s really not polite to ask strangers about their disabilities, though. 
Please understand that I am not asking that the server in question be reprimanded.  Instead, I just wanted to suggest that perhaps your staff could benefit from a bit of education about service dogs and how to relate to customers that have service dogs with them.  I’m enclosing a copy of a brochure published by Pet Partners, which provides some basic information.  I’d be happy to answer any questions via phone, or even to come in to talk to your staff during a staff meeting, if that would be helpful.  You can reach me at 419-631-6597 if I can be of any assistance.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Sincerely,

Kelly Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment