Monday, November 19, 2012

Today Isaac Did His First Real Task to Help Me

Oh, he's been doing tasks since I got him.  We've been practicing all his commands and he's been turning on lights for me and stuff like that, but it hasn't been something I've really needed him to do, if that makes sense.

Tonight, though, I was feeling really anxious and upset and started to cry.  I was able to tell Isaac "get meds" and he got them right away and brought them right to me.  He was in such a hurry, he dropped them once but he picked them right up and then put them in my lap.  I told him what a good boy he is and took my meds.  Then Isaac climbed up on the couch beside me and lay down with his head in my lap.  And he just lay like that for a long time.  He was warm and the pressure of his body against mine was really comforting.  He hasn't been trained to do that, by the way, the lying down beside me with his head in my lap.  He just did it.  And it was exactly what I needed.

Now, he didn't get the meds without me telling him to, but that's because he hasn't seen many of my anxiety attacks yet.  So he needs to learn what those look like and when to get the meds.  But I was able to tell him to get them and he did it right away.  He was actually on his way over the windowsill to sniff the cat that was lying on the sill, but he turned around right away to get the meds when I told him to.

And I feel OK now.  Without his help, there is a good chance I'd be lying on the couch crying right now instead of writing on my blog.

I am so happy and feel so blessed.  This was just a little glimpse of how Isaac is going to change my life.

I'm still fundraising, by the way.  Even though he is with me, I haven't paid the full amount I owe for him.  The program is allowing me to make payments, but I still need donations, if anyone is able to help.

2 comments:

  1. So happy that Isaac was able to help you with your meds and thru a tough time. I've been hoping that just having him with you, with his love, warmth, and acceptance would be a comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His love, warmth and acceptance are definitely a comfort to me. He is like my shadow, he follows me all around the house, whatever I'm doing. And he's warm and soft and his weight is comforting to me, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete