Monday, November 5, 2012

Shopping for Isaac

Yesterday I went shopping for Isaac.  I bought him three toys and four kinds of treats.  I spent $63!  But I figured it was worth the cost to buy good toys, toys that should last a long time, and toys that he won't be able to chew up and eat.  Emergency intestinal surgery to remove bits of cheap toys from his stomach would likely cost a lot more than a few high quality toys!

Here's what I got.


This is a Kong toy.  It's very durable, good for chewing, and it's hollow in the middle so you can put treats in it.  As the dog carries it around and chews on it, treats will occasionally fall out.






This is a Nylabone.  It's supposed to be bacon flavored but I didn't chew on it to see if it really is.  It's also hollow in the middle so you can stuff it with peanut butter or cheese or other yummy stuff.





This toy feels a lot like a tennis ball but it's shaped like a football, as you can see.  It's a bit bigger than a tennis ball, too, and it's just slightly squishy.  This is for Isaac and me to play fetch with.


And finally, here are Isaac's treats.  The can is some sort of peanut butter flavored stuff to spray in the hollow Nylabone.  Then there are Fruitables apple bacon flavored treats, which are good because they are small and only have three calories per treat, which is important because Isaac needs to be rewarded frequently because he's still in training but I don't want to feed him so many treats that he gets fat.  The Charlee Bear cheese and egg flavored treats are also only three calories per treat.  I couldn't find calorie information on the Nature's Recipe venison treats, but I assume they are higher in calories.  I'm going to cut them in half so the pieces will be smaller and just use them occasionally.  Actually, I think I'm going to mix some of each kind of treat in one container, kind of like a doggie trail mix, so he gets a variety and never knows what type he'll be getting when he follows a command.  Hopefully he likes them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment