Friday, October 12, 2012

People Aren't Dying from Lack of Health Insurance?

Mitt Romney announced that people in the U.S. do not die from a lack of health insurance.  I guess the 45,000 people that die each year because they can't get medical care due to lack of insurance will be happy to know that.  I bet their families feel better now, too.

That number comes from a study conducted by Harvard, by the way.  But I guess Romney has conducted his own research and considered his statistics more accurate.

He explained that people without health insurance don't die from lack of medical care because they just go to the hospital and get treated anyway and if they don't have insurance, some charity, the government, or the hospital pays for their care.  I bet all the people filing bankruptcy due to medical bills they can't pay will be happy to hear that some charity, the government, or the hospital will pay their bills.  (According to the American Journal of Medicine, 62% of folks that file bankruptcy do so because of medical bills they can't pay.) 

For that matter, I have some medical bills I'm having trouble paying.  Does anyone know how to apply to get some charity or the government to pay them?  Romney neglected to mention how that works.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Mr. Romney will be happy to send you a check. I'd email him. After all, I'm sure your medical bills would just be a drop in the bucket for him.

    ReplyDelete