Monday, August 20, 2012

Started Physical Therapy for My Back Today

It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and fortunately, the therapist only wants to see me once a week.  I have to do exercises at home but not that many.

She also told me some very interesting things.  She pointed out that the reason my MRI may not have looked bad is because for the MRI, I was lying flat on my back.  Well, my back doesn't hurt when I lie on my back.  It hurts when I bend and move in certain ways.  But they can't really do an MRI of you moving.  But that means that the MRI may not show how pressure is being put on a disc in the back when you move certain ways.

Does that make sense to anyone?  It made plenty of sense to me.  I came right home and emailed my mother, who works for an orthopedic doctor; in fact, the doctor that originally treated me for my back pain and couldn't figure out what the problem was works in her office. 

She did not seem to think I was making any sense at all and explained to me that they can't do an MRI while you bend over.  Yeah, I know that.  I wasn't trying to say they should have had me bend over for the MRI.  I was just saying that an MRI done in a position which doesn't cause pain might not show a problem that causes pain in another position.

She said that if there was a problem with my back, it should show up lying flat.  Well, it didn't.  And there is most certainly a problem if my back hurts so much I cannot bend over or lift anything.

But no, physical therapists don't know anything, do they?  The doctors know it all.  Even though that particular doctor said he had no idea what was wrong with my back.

Now I'm aggravated. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason why your mom gave high regard to a doctor’s opinion is because she works with one. A physical therapist can also be a good source of reason since they specialize in your condition. Have you already decided on which opinion to take? How about getting a second opinion from another PT? I hope you’re fine now, Kelly!

    Regards,
    Sienna Christie

    ReplyDelete