Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Feline Diabetes


I know this is not related to service dogs, but I wanted to share a couple links to some articles I’ve written on feline diabetes, published on Yahoo Voices.  Diabetes is not uncommon in cats, especially older cats.  Cayenne was diagnosed with it when she was about nine years old, I think.  With diet and insulin injections, it can often be very well controlled and cats can live pretty normal lives.  Cayenne’s diabetes was managed well on just ½ a unit of insulin a day until her recent illness; now she’s getting two units of insulin daily.  I also switched her to a diet of wet cat food, instead of dry, and only feed her specific varieties that are low in carbohydrates and high in protein.

Caring for Cats with Diabetes

How to Feed a Diabetic Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment