Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I Think My Kitty's Cancer Is Back

My cat Cayenne had cancer about two years ago.  She had breast cancer.  Did you know cats can get that?  She had surgery and chemotherapy and has been in remission since then.

Just a short time ago, she rolled over onto her back so I could rub her belly, and I felt a very large lump next to one of her nipples.  It looks and feels pretty much like what her previous tumor looked and felt like, so I'm pretty sure the cancer is back.

Cayenne is 12.5 years old, has diabetes and probably has an anxiety disorder.  She won't pee in the litter box.  She'll poop in it, but won't pee in it.  She's getting older, she sleeps a lot these days, and I think she has arthritis because she doesn't like to jump up on furniture anymore.  Instead, she'll ask to be picked up and put on the furniture where she likes to sit.  But she still loves to eat, loves treats, loves to be brushed, loves to be petted, loves to be talked to.  If she seems me getting yogurt out of the fridge, she starts to purr because she loves yogurt and knows I'll let her lick my bowl when I'm done.

I called my vet and they said the soonest they could see her was Thursday, but then when I told them what was going on, they made room for her to get in this afternoon.  Which was really kind, because it was really just to ease my worry.  I don't think this is a big emergency.  I don't think we'll try surgery and chemo again.  She's 12.5 years old and has other health problems.  I think this is the beginning of the end.

Which I've known for a while would come.  But that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment