Friday, June 29, 2012

Cayenne’s Lullaby List


I spent last night, or most of it, lying on the kitchen floor beside Cayenne.  Occasionally I stroked her head, very, very gently, but not too often because mostly she seemed not to want to be touched.  For a long time I sat on the floor beside her, my back against the refrigerator, and then I got my pillow and I lay down near her, but not touching her, on the cool tile floor.  I wished I’d mopped it recently.  But oh well.

I talked to her, whispered, really.  I hoped she found the sound of my voice comforting.  I typically talk to my cats a lot, and sometimes I sing while I wash dishes or fold laundry, so they are all used to hearing my voice all day long.  And then I sang to her.  Just above a whisper, there on the cool tile floor.  I hoped she found the sound of my voice comforting.

Here are some of the songs I sang.

Cold Missouri Waters – Dar Williams

Ford Econoline – Nanci Griffith

It’s a Hard Life Wherever You Go – Nanci Griffith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9lUG4gBjSE&feature=related

Ten Degrees and Getting Colder – Nanci Griffith

Trouble in These Fields – Nanci Griffith

Red Dirt Girl – Emmylou Harris

If You’re Reading This – Tim McGraw

You Can Sleep While I Drive – Trisha Yearwood

The Boxer – Simon and Garfunkel

No comments:

Post a Comment